Give a kid a classic! Cozy Classics is a new board book series presenting well-loved stories through 12 child-friendly words and 12 needle-felted illustrations. Moby Dick is a high seas adventure about one man’s quest to find the whale who took his leg, and one of the world’s most beloved classics. Now this classic can be shared with children of any age.MY TAKE:
I was curious to see how Moby Dick could work as a board book for little kids.
In Cozy Classics: Moby Dick, the classic is told through illustrations and select words.
I was quite surprised to see just one word for each illustration. At first I thought that the first few pages were just a way for kids to identify the words which will be used in the actual story. As it turns out, the entire book is composed of just one word per page, with the illustration showing what that word is in relation to the Moby Dick story. Strangely enough, in just those few words and illustrations, you actually do get the main bits of the story. It's kind of like having flash cards but the flash cards tell a story.
The approach seems a little unusual, but it works. Younger kids will enjoy the illustrations and they'll get to learn new words too.
Thanks to NetGalley and Smith Publicity for the e-ARC.
- The felt illustrations are very cute.
- The flashcard-style storytelling works.
- Kids will be able to understand the basics of Moby Dick.
- You don't actually get to read the Moby Dick story.
sailorREAD IT IF:
- Your child is too young to read children's books on his/her own.
- Your child has a short attention span.
- Your child likes felt or stuffed toys.