SUMMARY FROM GOODREADS:
Do you think Cinderella married the prince and lived happily ever after, and that the three little pigs outsmarted the wolf? Think again! Premier storyteller Roald Dahl twists the fate of six favorite fairy tales, in this picture book edition with vibrant new cover art by Quentin Blake. Fairy tales have never been more revolting!MY TAKE:
Illustrated by Quentin Blake.
I was looking for a light-hearted read and this certainly fit the bill.
In Revolting Rhymes, classic fairytales are re-imagined and takes on a slightly darker but funnier tone.
I wasn't actually sure at first if I'd like it. I decided to give it a chance, and I was pleasantly surprised. I laughed out loud a few times at the funny phrases and situations that were written. I liked that there were some more modern twists, like with Snow White's story.
There were some gory stuff here and there, though, and there were a few words (like "slut" and "hell") that I was surprised to see in a children's book.
For the most part, though, I enjoyed this book. It may be better suited for older kids and pre-teens, though.
- There are plenty of funny lines.
- The re-imaginings are mostly witty.
- It may encourage kids to read more poems.
- There are some words here that might have been innocuous back in the day, but which parents today may not approve of.
READ IT IF:
- Your child likes gross rhymes.
- You like fairy tale retellings.
- You like funny rhymes.