SUMMARY FROM NETGALLEY.COM:
From Hollywood to the redwoods, from Death Valley to Napa Valley, this amazing book is your golden gate to the Golden State! You'll discover obscure history, learn fascinating facts, and meet the unique people who make California a place like no other on Earth! Read about...
- The day Fullerton was invaded by Superballs.
- Vasquez Rocks and the scores of movies filmed there.
- Tahoe Tessie, the Lizard People of L.A., and other California creatures.
- Hidden secrets of the world's tallest trees.
- Playing baseball at San Quentin.
- California's first hippie.And much, much more!
I already own a couple of Uncle John's Bathroom Reader books, so when I saw this book on NetGalley, I requested it immediately.
Like other Uncle John's Bathroom Reader books, Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges into California is composed of a large number of articles and features, each about 1-5 pages long.
The book works best when read in small doses, so you don't get overwhelmed with too much information. Obviously, this makes it the perfect bathroom reading material.
This book centers on everything California-related. A lot of the things written here were new to me. For example, that Anaheim got its name from the Sta. Ana river and the German word for home. Aside from the factual stuff, this book also had fun articles like how to spot a valley girl.
Thanks to NetGalley and Portable Press for the e-ARC.
- There's something for everyone.
- It's not boring.
- You can read this at your own pace.
- It can get boring since it's all related to California.
You know you're Californian if: You feel bad for anyone who doesn't have access to an In-N-Out.
READ IT IF:
- You need interesting bathroom reading material.
- You want to learn more about California.
- You want to learn something and be entertained at the same time.