Turn your boring desserts into fantastic works of food art. Learn to make cupcakes into bunnies or candies into shining stars. The best part of this book is learning it’s OK to play with your food!
For ages 9-13.
* Step-by-step instructions to create each project
* Cool projects! No baking required!
* Photos enhance the projects and appeal to readers of all ages
* In line with the popular food styling trend
* Great family activity
About the Author:
Dana Meachen Rau writes about many topics, including food! When she's not writing, she's being creative in other ways - especially in the kitchen. Sometimes she follows recipes, but other times she experiments with new flavors. And she doesn't need a special occasion to whip up a special dessert for her friends and family in Burlington, Connecticut.
I've always liked baking but I'm too lazy to decorate.
In Dessert Designer, you get to learn how to decorate cakes, cookies and cupcakes. These aren't your typical frosted swirls, though. We're talking animals, objects and the like. The first part of the book contains recipes for frosting, royal icing, and a picture containing all the tools you'll need to make awesome decorations. The recipes are also grouped by what type of base is used: cupcakes, cookies, candies, and cakes.
Seeing as how I don't have ingredients on hand and I'm still a little bit reluctant to give frosting a try, I was happy to see that not all the decorations required icing. The recipes all assume, though, that you've got a cupcake, cookie or cake on hand already that's ready to decorate. That is, the instructions don't start with the baking of the pastry. If you or your child just want to decorate, you can always just buy plain cakes and cupcakes.
The instructions are quite detailed, which is great since there are no step-by-step pictures you can use to make sure that you actually understand the instructions.
Thanks to NetGalley and Capstone Young Readers for the e-ARC.
- You can use cupcakes, cookies, candies or cake.
- If you don't feel like making or using frosting, you have plenty of other options that use other decorating ingredients.
- There are plenty of projects to try.
- There are no step-by-step pictures you can use.
The best part of dessert designing is getting to be creative!READ IT IF:
- You've always wanted to learn how to create elaborate cupcake decorations.
- You like shows like DC Cupcakes and Cake Wars.
- Your kid wants to learn more about baking and decorating pastries.